The Rogaland Teater was established in Stavanger in 1947.
The theatre resides in two buildings; the purpose-built main theatre building from 1883 and the old Stavanger Gymnasium from 1892.
Both buildings were designed by architect Hartvig Sverdrup Eckhoff, who also designed the theatre’s neighbouring buildings – the old Stavanger Hospital (which currently houses the county administration) and Stavanger Museum.
In the years leading up to 1947, many attempts at presenting professional theatre in the main building were made. Several theatre companies were formed, but all had to give up after a short time due to financial reasons. There were also touring companies, but the building was often dark.
Every year, the Rogaland Teater presents approximately 12 productions in four different venues: Hovedscenen - the main auditorium with 375 seats, Intimscenen - a black box studio with an average capacity of 72, Kjellerteatret - a small studio in the cellar and Teaterhallen - the newly refurbished old gymnasium, with a maximum of 200 seats.
The latter venue was given to the Rogaland Teater by the county council in 2003 to house the Children's and Youth Theatre – Barne- og ungdomsteatret (BUT) - a program where children and youth perform for children and the young under professional supervision and direction.